Year of birth: 1976
Marital status: Married, 2 children
NICT Hokuriku StarBED Technology Center, 2-12 Asahidai, Nomi, Ishikawa, 923-1211 Japan
JAIST, 1-1 Asahidai, Nomi, Ishikawa, 923-1292 Japan
SCIENTIFIC AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
- 2012-present: senior researcher, Hokuriku StarBED Technology Center, National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NICT), Ishikawa, Japan.
- 2007-present: project researcher, Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (JAIST), Ishikawa, Japan.
- 2006-2012: researcher, Hokuriku Research Center, National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NICT), Ishikawa, Japan.
- 2006-2007: post-doc research fellow, Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (JAIST), Ishikawa, Japan.
- 2003-2005: project associate, CERN, Geneva, Switzerland.
- 2001-2003: Ph.D. internship, CERN, Geneva, Switzerland.
- 2000-2005: teaching assistant, Faculty of Electronics and Telecommunications, University "POLITEHNICA" Bucuresti, Romania.
- 2000-2001: research internship, National Institute of Telecommunications, Evry, France.
- 1999-2000: research assistant, Image Processing and Analysis Laboratory (LAPI), Faculty of Electronics and Telecommunications, University "POLITEHNICA" Bucuresti, Romania.
- 1999: research internship, National Institute of Telecommunications, Evry, France.
- 1997: research internship, Technical University of Tampere, Finland.
- 1999-2004: Ph.D., "Measuring Quality in Computer Networks", University "POLITEHNICA" Bucuresti, Romania (distinction: cum laudae) and University "Jean Monnet", Saint Etienne, France (distinction: très honnorable).
- 1999-2000: M. Sc., "Images, Patterns and Artificial Inteligence", University "POLITEHNICA" Bucuresti, Romania.
Graduation average: 10 (out of 10) Dissertation: 10 (out of 10)
- 1994-1999: Engineer B.Sc., University "POLITEHNICA" Bucuresti, Department of Engineering Sciences, Electrical Engineering & Computer Science Division.
Five year average: 9.89 (out of 10) Final examination: 10 (out of 10)
RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITY:
- 2006-present: Application performance assessment on wireless networks (WLAN, ZigBee, active tags). Design and implementation of a wireless network emulator (QOMET) and of the associated tools needed to perform experiments.
- 2003-2005: Design and implementation of a high-performance network emulator, with CERN, Geneva, Switzerland, in collaboration with U4EA Technologies, Ltd., U.K. and Predictable Network Solutions, Inc., U.S.
- 2002-2003: Study of the relationship between network Quality of Service and application User Perceived Quality for several network applications, with EP-ATR Atlas group at CERN, Geneva, Switzerland, in collaboration with U4EA Technologies Ltd., U.K.
- 2001: Contribution to the development of a 32-port FPGA-based tester board for Fast Ethernet networks, with the EP-ATR Atlas group at CERN, Geneva, Switzerland.
- 2000: Participation to the design and implementation of a method for detection of objectionable content images, with U.S. partners (Fotonation, Inc. and Zing, Inc.) - U.S. Patents 6,751,348 and 7,103,215.
- 2000: Contribution to the design and implementation of digital image watermarking systems with UK and US partners (Datamark, Ltd. and Fotonation, Inc.).
- 1999: Participation to the design and implementation of a face recognition system using Principal Component Analysis, financed by the Romanian Ministry of Research and Development.
- 1999: "Research on Content-Based Indexation. Application on Deaf People Sign Language", graduation project with the National Institute of Telecommunications, Evry, France (function library for 3D objects manipulation, graphical interface for displaying visual objects).
- 1997: "Image Clusterization Using Euclidean Minimum Spanning Trees", with the Tampere University of Technology, Tampere, Finland.
- 1996: Contribution to the development of a radio broadcast coverage estimation system (Neutron, Ltd., Romania).
- 1996-1999: Various R&D projects in the fields of: Compiler Design, Computer Graphics, Image Processing, Operating Systems, Artificial Intelligence, Pattern Recognition (e.g., parallel algorithm for gray-level image segmentation, implemented in SR; generic system using intelligent software agents, implemented in LISP; generic synchronization system using monitors, implemented in C under Unix).
- Reviewer for the following journals:
- Wireless Networks (Springer)
- Wireless Communications & Mobile Computing (Wiley)
- IEICE Transactions on Fundamentals of Electronics, Communications and Computer Sciences (EA)
- IEICE Transactions on Communications (EB)
- IEICE Transactions on Information and Systems (ED)
- Simulation: Transactions of the Society for Modeling and Simulation International
- Member of the Technical Program Committee of the following conferences:
- International Conference on Intelligent Networking and Collaborative Systems (INCoS) 2012 (poster session)
- International Conference on Networked Sensing Systems (INSS) 2010
- IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM) 2009
- International Conference on Simulation Tools and Techniques (SimuTOOLS) 2009, 2010
- IARIA International Conference on Mobile Ubiquitous Computing, Systems, Services and Technologies (UBICOMM) 2009
- IADIS International Conference Telecommunications, Networks and Systems (TNS) 2008, 2009
- Conference chair:
- Publication chair for International Conference on Networked Sensing Systems (INSS) 2009
- Local arrangement co-chair for International Conference on Networked Sensing Systems (INSS) 2008
- 2012 NICT Award for Excellence of Achievements for work on wireless network emulation
- Best Paper Award at AINTEC 2011 ("Fault Injection on a Large-Scale Network Testbed")
- Best Paper Award at UBICOMM 2008 ("Distributed Emulator for a Pedestrian Tracking System Using Active Tags")
- 2nd Prize of the 1996 session of the Physics Section of the Scientific Student Group of University "POLITEHNICA" Bucuresti
- Programming Languages and Environments:
- C, C++, Visual C++, Java
- Matlab, LISP, Pascal
- Python, Perl
- Major fields of interest:
- Computer networks, Wireless networks, Ubiquitous networks
- Image processing and analysis, Pattern recognition
- Foreign languages:
- English: excellent
- French: very good
- Japanese: good
- German: basic
- shakuhachi (Tozan school, assistant-instructor license [JUN-SHIHAN])
- piano, photography, painting, swimming
For references, please contact:
Prof. Dr. Yoichi Shinoda, Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Japan -- shinoda (at) jaist.ac.jp
Dr. Eng. Brian Martin, CERN, Switzerland -- Brian.Martin (at) cern.ch
Dr. Eng. Neil Davies, Predictable Network Solutions, Ltd., U.K. -- Neil.Davies (at) pnsol.com
Last modified: Wed Jan 16 10:58:48 JST 2013